Established in 1865, the American Hotel was revitalised by Brandrick Architects after closing in 2008.
The American Hotel is a commanding two storey corner pub, with a striking brick façade, complimented by painted cream details and ornate, rendered parapets. The rear of the venue was found worn, with the extension calling for dramatic demolition and replacement.
Reuse of redgum timber throughout the hotel, as cladding, bar tops and benches, provided the perfect opportunity to give the timber, salvaged from the Echuca Wharf revitalisation, a new lease on life.
Copper fixtures and features curl their way through the interior, with custom lighting and beer taps, adding a polished effect to the otherwise casual ambience.
Heavy steel sections, reused from Echuca Flour Mill, add to the industrial, raw finish, honoured by aged bottle-lined walls.
While physically impressive, the design’s success is reliant on the character and intimacy created by the interior. Significant effort was made to ensure patrons have a variety of ways to enter the building, with numerous ways of gathering, in small groups or larger functions, catered for.
The large first floor balcony pays tribute to spectacular views of the mighty Murray River and nearby council and library buildings.
Photographer: Shannon McGrath